Monday, August 1, 2016

Book Review: The Young Elites by Marie Lu

Title: The Young Elites
Author: Marie Lu
Genre: High Fantasy/Dystopia
Publisher: Putnam
Rating: 4.5 Stars

The Young Elites by Marie Lu
Amazon | Book Depository | Barns & Noble | Putnam | Books.A.Millon | Goodreads
I am tired of being used, hurt, and cast aside. 

Adelina Amouteru is a survivor of the blood fever. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina's black hair turned sliver, her lashes went pale, and now she has a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is a malfetto, an abomination, ruining their family's good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever's survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars--they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites.

Teren Santoro works for the king. As Leader of the Inquisition Axis, it is his job to seek out the Young Elites, to destroy them before they destroy the nation. He believes the Young Elites to be dangerous and vengeful, but it'd Teren who may possess the darkest secret of all.

 Enzo Valenciano is a member of the Dagger Society. This secret sect of the Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Daggers find Adelina they discover someone with powers like they've never seen. 

 My Review


I'm kicking myself right now. No, it's not because this book was bad, it's far from bad. No, it's not because of the writing style or plot. No, it's not because of the characters.  It's because this book has been on my TBR pile for so long, and I'm stuck here wondering, "Why have I not read this yet?". Words can't even begin to describe how amazing this book is. I'm completely loved The Young Elites. I will admit this one went above and beyond my expectations. I was very hesitant to pick this one up, because I sadly didn't get into Marie's Legend trilogy. I don't know why, it just didn't work for me. So, I gave Marie another shot and I'm so glad that I did. This time she didn't disappoint. The things that mead me love this book so much was the dark and twisted world Marie created, Marie's writing style with this one, her very diverse characters selection.

First, let's start off with is creative plot and dark world Marie created. I find this unique concept of having a illness that swept a nation to have children come out with awesome powers, amazing! How cool?!  If I caught a cold and then got the ability to fly from it, that would be awesome! Okay, let's be real. It was more like a feverish disease that puts you a the verge of death, but hey I can dream, right? Anyways, it's already has a cool concept going on, and then you put in  a national "threat" in the mix, a world were women are married off, a girl who has no idea what power she possesses and who is almost terrifyingly close to her sorrow and anger, and you've got one hell of a story on your hands. Oh, and a very dark world that gives me chills just thinking about what people living in this world have to go through, as well as the characters. But this dark world is so gripping, it really hooks you in and makes you want to find out why it came to be that way.

Marie's writing style in this one was way different then her writing style in the Legend trilogy. Throughout The Young Elites, Marie had more of a darker feel to it, and that is partly due to the main character, Adelina. But I liked it. Looking back, the writing style she used when writing the Legend trilogy could have been why I really didn't get into those books. But by reading from someone who has fallen into such a dark place, really made for a very intriguing read. Right off the bat readers get a taste of this new and almost refreshing writing style that Marie uses, as well as a glimpse at what darkness is to come.

Finally, I really enjoyed see all the different characters Marie created too. My favorites, and probably many others favorite too, was Raffaele. He is truly the light of hope in the dark world the Marie created. At times he made me laugh, cry, and then other times reflect on life around me. I love characters like Raffaele, they really make books more enjoyable for me. But just as there is light, there is also dark. And one of my favorite dark characters had to be Adelina herself. I fell like she harmonizes well with the dark cords in everyone, because we have all felt the emotions that she keeps close to her. Maybe not as extensively, but it make her a reliable main character. And with her being close to her dark side, it also draws readers in to learn more about who she really is and what she can really do.

All in all this book was amazing, I highly recommend you give The Young Elites a shot if you were like me and  you didn't get into Marie's  Legend trilogy that much. Trust me, you won't regret it. I can't wait to see what Marie has in store in the next installment, The Rose Society. After this review goes up, I'll probably be stopping at my bookstore to pick it up. Because something tell me it's going to be good.

My Posts about The Young Elites


A photo posted by Katelyn (@thefearlessreader) on

A photo posted by Katelyn (@thefearlessreader) on

No comments:

Post a Comment