Wednesday, July 6, 2016

My First Blind Date With a Book!


About a two weeks ago I found this cool Etsy shop called BlindDateWithaBook. And me knowing that I already have a huge TBR pile, decide the purchase one. I really like the idea of receiving a book that you don't know what it could be. Now, the shop owner does have the option of controlling the genre. The ones they have available are; Impactful Fiction, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Classics, Romance, Historical Fiction, Children's Whimsical, and, the one I chose, Surprise Me! I wanted this to be a true blind date, so I didn't want to have any hints and clues about the book I was going to receive. 

About a week after ordering, the mysterious package arrived in my mail box. After unwrapping the envelope, my eye fell on one of the most beautiful wrapping jobs I have ever seen. 


I mean, just look at it. Wouldn't you swoon too if you found this in your mail box? I love the parchment paper used to wrap the book, the envelope, and little tag that matched. So cute! I absolutely love the string used and the wax seal too, okay maybe I just love everything about this package. 

Now that I'm done fangirling over the packaging, lets talk about its contents. After untying the sting and creaking open the seal of the envelope, the envelope contains an instruction card, some tea to brew, and a ponderings card that you can fill with your thoughts of the book to send back to the shop. Which I think is really cool, the shop owner doesn't just want your feedback from your purchase experiences, but they want to know your thought about the book too. I also appreciated the tea. If you didn't know, it's one of my favorite things to have when diving into a good book. 

And then it came to unwrapping the book! I was so tempted to just ignore the envelope, tear into the parchment, and crack the mystery case open. But I didn't, and now that it was time, I was dying to see what the book was. So I tore the parchment off................. and the book I got was one I've been meaning to pick up for a while now. I got Icons by Margaret Sloth! She is one of the authors who co-wrote Beautiful Creatures. But this isn't anything like the supernatural fiction you see in Beautiful Creatures, this is a sci-fi apocalypse novel, which is the first in a series. And you know how I love my sci-fi, so I'm really pumped to read this one! I'll leave the links to find out more about Icons below, as well as a short description.

Amazon | Book Depository | Barns & Noble | Book Outlet | Books.A.Millon | Goodreads | BlindDateWithaBook

Ro murmurs into my ear. "Don't be afraid, Dol.They're not coming for us." Still, he slips his arm around me and we wait until the sky is clear.

Because he doesn't know. Not really.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Everything changed on The Day. The day the Icon appeared in Los Angeles. The day the power stopped. The day Dol's family dropped dead. The day Earth lost a war it didn't know it was fighting.

Since then, Dol has lived a simple life in the countryside with fellow survivor Ro--safe from the shadow of the Icon and its terrifying power. Hiding from the one truth she can't avoid. 

They're different. They survived, Why?

When the government discovers their secret, they are forced to join faint-hearted Tima and charismatic Lucas in captivity. Called the Icon Children, the four are the only humans on Earth immune to the power of the Icons. Torn between brooding Ro and her evolving feelings for Lucas, between a past and a future, Dol's heart has never been more vulnerable. And as tensions escalate, the Icon Children discover that their explosive emotions--which they've always thought to be their greatest weaknesses--may actually be their greatest strengths.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

So there you have it; my first Blind Date with a Book! I absolutely loved this, and I plan on purchasing another one very soon! Maybe next time I'll chose the Classic genre though, I've been wanting to read more classics. I hope you check out the cute Etsy shop a visit, BlindDateWithaBook did an amazing job at wrapping, shipping, and creating this fun mystery package. And I hope you check it out and love your blind dates as much as I did mine. 


2 comments: