Monday, June 26, 2017

Revisited Book Review: Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco

Title: Stalking Jack the Ripper
Author: Kerri Maniscalco
Genre: Fantasy/ YA Thriller
Publisher: Little, Brown / Jimmy Paterson Books
Rating: 5 Stars
Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco
Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes & Noble | Books.A.Millon | Goodreads
HE'S THE INFAMOUS KILLER
NO MAN HAS EVER BEEN 
ABLE TO FIND

NOW IT'S A GIRL'S TURN.

Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.

Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world.

My Thoughts

This. Book. Was. So. Good! I loved reading this book again so much, this is my favorite YA thriller I have read to date! Maniscalco has proved herself, and I've never read something so suspenseful and fun before. She creatively sculpted a fast paced read that will leave ever reader nail-biting over bone-chilling plot twists. I love Maniscalco's writing style and creative word choice, her fun and quirky characters, and setting and time period. All these together creative a thriller reads will keep coming back to for years to come. 

Maniscalco's writing style and creative word choice, is unlike any I've seen before, and it was so refreshing and enlightening to see. I loved her word choice. I think it was perfect with the subject matter at hand, and perfect for the time period. With this being her first novel, I feel we get a perfect look into her writing style, and get a chance to see where she can go from here. The sky is the limit for her, and I can't wait to see where she goes from here.

The characters made this book for me. Aubrey was a reliable and curious main character, I didn't find myself losing interest in her perceptive as the story went on. And I think most reader will agree with me when I say, Thomas was my favorite, I loved seeing what he brought the story, as well as the role he played in the plot. His charm and risky behavior for the time period makes you wonder, along with Aubrey, about him. I also really loved reading about Aubrey's uncle, father, and bother. They might have been minor characters, but thy added another layer to the plot that I couldn't resist not mentioning. 

Finally, the setting and the time period added another layer of uniqueness to this piece. I love 1880's England after reading this piece, and I can appreciate all the research that went into this one to make everything seem perfect for the era. And all the research into the Jack the Ripper cases, because they were very accurate to what was really found out, and the popular opinion on the cases during the time. I loved it.

Stalking Jack the Ripper is full of unique creativity and suspense that will keep readers coming back for more. I love Maniscalco's writing style and creative word choice, her fun and quirky characters, and setting and time period. All these together create a thriller that readers will keep coming back to for years to come. Maniscalco has proved herself with this masterful first novel, and I can't wait to see where she will take me in Hunting Prince Dracula

My posts about Stalking Jack the Ripper...


No comments:

Post a Comment