Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Book Review: A Monster Calls

Title: A Monster Calls
Author: Patrick Ness
Genre: Fantasy and Children's Literature
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Movie Rating: 5 Million Stars!
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes & Noble | Books.A.Millon | Goodreads
The monster showed up after midnight. As they do.

But it isn’t the monster Conor’s been expecting. He’s been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he’s had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming…

This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.

It wants the truth.

My Review


This book was such a tear-jerker; I have never cried so much while reading a book. I loved, I absolutely loved this book! Ness has truly brought a new meaning to monster, and bedtime stories with this one. I couldn't put it down! I also found myself reading late into the night and into the early mornings occasionally, and I haven't done that with a book in a long time. With its heart-wrenching plot, stunning imagery, and it's writing style; A Monster Calls was yet another great book to start out the new year. 

The plot line, characters, settings, and aesthetic, really made this a book I'm not going to forget anytime soon, it will stick with me for years to come. I loved Conor as the main character, he reminded me of myself as a kid, just wanting to be accepted and fit-in. He was a very reliable and unique perspective to see throughout this story, especially with a story like this; a story of hope, truth, and recovering. The plot line is unlike anything I've every read, everything lined up so well, especially with how certain things progressed thorough the story line. And the different settings really helped the story's imagery aspect and really pulled reader into the story. All of these aspects created such a stunning aesthetic, it was really beautiful. This makes readers emotionally invested, you are right there with Conor, seeing and experiencing everything with him, it will bring to tears.

Imagery is such a main component in this story, like every great story should, and a lot of it came with Ness's writing style. He's writing style is what really pulled this story together and made it a show stopper that no one will be forgetting anytime soon. He was so descriptive and clear, and he was so precise on how he wanted a scene to 'look' for the reader, as well as the way he described places, people, and the monster, all were breath-taking to read. Ness has easily become a writer that I'm going to be keeping an eye out for the next time I go book shopping. I loved his style, and can't wait to see what else he may have in store for me. 

Like I've said before, this book was yet another great book to start out the new year for me. I loved every aspect of this book, and will most likely be picking this one up again for years to come. A Monster Calls stunning, breath-taking, beautiful, and so much more. If you haven't yet, you need to add this on to your TBR pile, you'll be missing out if you don't. Ness was flawless and was so brave for writing such an incredible piece, he has become a favorite for me, and I hope that he will for you too.

My posts for A Monster Calls...





No comments:

Post a Comment