Wednesday, August 19, 2015

A Fangirl's Guide To Pretty Much Anything (Entry #1)

Death by Reading Slumps

How to deal with them, and how to get rid of them. 
Photo Credit via Instagram: @chicklitdesigns
Reading Slumps are every fangirl's/fanboy's nightmare. A reading slump is when either a book you're currently reading is no longer appealing to you and you can't finish it, or when you've started reading a series or genre and you just can't go on with it anymore. They are nasty beasts to deal with, and getting rid of them is harder that anything.

Most fangirls, and fanboys, can feel both mental and emotion pain when dealing with a reading slump. When we experience a reading slump, it's like our world has shut down. Some might even say they become depressed when in the middle of a reading slump. But I'm here to tell you that there is light at the end of the tunnel; reading slumps never last! Most fanboys and fangirls eventually recover from reading slumps. Reading slumps can last from a few days, to months, it just depends on how hard reading slumps hit you.

Here's the reading cycle of a fangirl, or fanboy, and reading slumps:

Stage 1: 'I can't be in another book slump! I will tackle my TBR pile and emerge victorious. You're not going to hold me back, brain.'
Stage 2: *reads 50 pages of about a 750 page book* 'NOOOO!'
Stage 3: *mumbles about reading slump* *posts a blog about reading slump* *tell the whole town about reading slump*
Stage 4: 'So the hundreds of books I own aren't really working for me, I should defiantly go to a bookstore or library.'
Stage 5: 'I know, I'll re-read Harry Potter'
Stage 6: *puts on a sad song and stares at books on bookshelves longingly* 'I miss you...'
Stage 7: *after what feels like eternity, reads 50 books in a week to make up for lost time*
Stage 8: Repeat

One things is for sure though, we all feel guilty for not reading books, this guilt we feel really adds  stress to our lives when in a reading slump. You feel guilty because you know your TBR pile keeps growing everyday and that you should be reading, but you just can't. Don't worry though every fanperson has been there, and there are many ways you can break a reading slump. One thing you can try is switching genres of books. When I'm in a reading slump, I tend to switch to a completely different genre, so I can see a different reading and writing style.  This usually works every time, but occasionally I have to do something special to get myself out of a reading slump. Getting  new inspiration is another great way to break a reading slump. Whether it be watching a new Netflix series, writing something new , reading some new fan-fics, going to a new bookstore, or even trying new things; getting new inspiration can always re-spark the passion to read. Another way you can break a reading slump is returning to books you've already fell in love with. Personally, my go to is Harry Potter, and sometimes returning in 'safe' territory might just be the thing you need to pull yourself out of a reading slump. Finally, if all else fails, wait it out. I know it's the worst, but sometimes  your brain just needs a breather from reading, but don't worry it will pass and you can get back to reading in no time.

So, when it comes to reading slumps, remember just chill, it will pass. Also, don't feel guilty, your books can wait for you to recover, and every fanperson gets them, you're not alone. Great ways to break a reading slump is switching it up, getting new inspiration, and returning in 'safe' territory. And remember that if all else fails, wait it out!

I hope that this helped some of you out, and if there are different ways you get out of a reading slump, I'd love to hear about them, please feel free to leave them in the comments below. So until next time, drink some coffee, love a cat, watch out for them feels, and remember to always read fearlessly!




No comments:

Post a Comment